Category Archives: Fred Mullett

down by the seashore

We had family visiting us from out of town last week and spent alot of time at the beach catching waves, collecting shells and soaking up the sun.    Here is my card inspired by those days.

The main panel was sponges with memento inks – summer sky, bahama blue, paris dusk and a heavy dose of desert sand on the bottom.  I tried to sponge some white pigment ink where the ocean and sand meet to give it a “surf-y” look, but it did not pan out too well.   I then tried all four of my white pens but none of them worked either!   The shell, from Fred Mullet, was stamped in cocoa and colored with copics in the E series with a tiny bit of RV.  The sentiment is computer generated and I got it and several another from a digi scrap site – scrapsimple.

You can’t really see it in the photo, but the kraft cardstock is stamped with a nice shell background stamp.  I think it is from Rubbernecker, but I purchased it ages ago and never noted the manufacturer.   It was stamped with desert sand ink and I used my new tool – the mega mount – to stamp it.  The Mega Mount is a large curved acrylic block with a handle from Impression Obsession.  They created it for their large cover-a-card stamps (of which I have a bunch).  Here are some photos to give you an idea of how it works.    Here is the stamp on the mega mount:

This photo gives you an idea of the curved shape of the mega mount.

Impression Obsession has a nice video on how to use the mega mount.  You can find it HERE.

Thanks so much for stopping by today!

a card makeover, a letterpress mess, and finally facebook

You ever have one of THOSE days?  

While trying to get my mojo back, I made this card for this weeks clean and simple sketch challenge at SCS.  It’s apparent that my mojo has not returned (I think I threw it away by mistake while cleaning the stamp room last weekend)

So, this morning I could not stand to look at it and took it apart.  I salvaged the card base and the stamped images and created something slightly different, but a little better (imho!).  While this version does not meet the challenge criteria at least I felt better about it!!!!  The images were stamped on Fabriano Watercolor paper using Brilliant Blue and Green Galore markers.  The blue and green papers are from The Paper Company Seaside collection.  The stamps are from Stamp Zia (nautilus), Fred Mullett (starfish), and Flourishes (scallop and sentiment). 

Letterpress

I made a Letterpress mess this morning.  I purchased the L Letterpress kit a few days ago and tried it out this morning.   What a mess!  Ink all over the place and a letterpressed image that was far from the quality impressions you see on their site!  It is going to take alot of trial and error with this machine and I hope I can make it work.   If you are just starting to try out this machine you want to be very careful to line up the plate and your card, and inking the plate requires a very delicate touch to prevent getting ink on areas that you don’t want ink.    You know how when you ink a rubber stamp and some ink gets on the edges where you trimmed the stamp?  Then you stamp the image and you have those areas that ended up with ink on them and they end up on the paper?  The same holds true for the letterpress plates only it’s a little harder to make sure the ink is only on the raised portion of the plate.

Anyway, i’ll need to do more playing around with this machine before I can post.

Finally Facebook

I didn’t think I would find the whole Facebook thing interesting or appealing ……until I signed up!!  I already spend way too much time on the computer and this just adds to that problem.  I’m sure the newness will wear off after awhile, but until then I’m enjoying connecting with my family members from around the country and with friends I’ve lost touch with over the years.

If you’re on facebook, let me know!

thanks for stopping by!

watercolored fish

Yesterday’s inspiration challenge at SCS had me reaching for my  fish stamps from Fred Mullett. 

I started by inking up the fish image in several waterbased markers.  Three shades each of yellow and blue (light, medium and dark) were applied directly to the image which was then lightly spritzed with water and stamped on watercolor paper.   The intent was to keep the main panel clean and simple

I added the postage images (from Limited Edition) and text (from Above The Mark) on the main panel, with the text stamped on the base card as well.  Paper piercing on the lower right was added to draw the eye fron the upper left corner to the lower right.

The piece that inspired this card is show below.

Thanks for stopping by!