Tag Archives: gift card holder

gift card holder

Every year I look around for new ways to package gift cards for the holidays.  Gift cards are frequently used by me for my nieces and nephews and I like wrapping them in more than just a plain envelope. 

When I saw the uber talented Becca Feeken’s gift card holder she did for Our Daily Bread Stamps I knew it would be my go to technique this year – and probably many more years!  The video of how she made this is HERE.

Here is my take…

The gift card holder is actually two pieces.  The pocket or “envelope” is one piece and the actual gift card holder is another.  This is the pocket with the gift card holder tucked inside.  I used paper from SEI Winter Song and edged the diagonal folds with thin satin ribbon.  The snowflake and red flower are both Martha Stewart punches.  You can’t tell from the photo but the snowflake is covered with pretty glitter.  The red brad is from My Minds Eye.   I wrapped some diy bakers twine around just for looks.

Here is the piece that contains the actual gift card.

The image is from Papertrey and was stamped on Cranes Lettra Paper in Memento Rhubarb Stalk ink and cut using a nestabilites die. The ribbon is seam binding (love this stuff!!)  I edged the label with memento blue ink.

Thanks so much for stopping by today!

punches and dies and stamps, oh my!

A little bit of everything went in to the making of this card and/or gift card holder.  One Sizzix die cut and one embossing folder, one spellbinders label die, two martha stewart punches, stamps,  digital paper, ribbon and pearls!  And I still consider this clean and simple – go figure!

The base is a tri-fold card using the Sizzix “Ornate Tri Fold Card” die.  This die is so versatile because it can be used as a card, a gift card holder, or for an invitation.  It was cut using DCWV green textured paper of which the top “ornate” piece was embossed with a Sizzix embossing folder.  I took a piece of blue cardstock and used the same die cut – but just the top portion – to have a mat – here is a close up of the embossed section and blue mat.

The patterned paper is a digital freebie I received from Design House digital.  I  usually have bad luck with digital papers because the colors never look right, but this one printed out perfect!  The snowflakes are Martha Stewart punches – embellished with a pearl.  The turquoise grosgrain ribbon is SU and the ribbon just slides off to open the card.

The sentiment is from Flourishes, stamped in Memento Bahama Blue and cut using a Spellbinders label die.

Here is a look at how the card opens up.  See that extra blue piece at the end of the patterned paper?  That was a leftover piece from when I cut out the blue mat and decided to use it to finish off this section.

Thanks so much for stopping by today! 

gift card holder

I am finally getting around to using my Big Shot and some of the dies!  I created this pretty gift card holder with three different dies:

I started with heavy cardstock and printed vellum.  I’ve had this vellum for many years and came across it while working on my last project  I love the delicate pattern and the colors work well with the lavender paper.  I cut both sheets down to 5.5 inches wide and ran the cardstock through my xyron to get a full coverage of adhesive.  The vellum sheet was overlaid on top of the cardstock.

I ran this piece through my bigshot using the “Box with Scallop Flap and Flowers” die, which is a scoreboards die.  This means not only can it cut through very heavy weight things (like matboard), but it also scores the material as well.  From here it is easy to put  the box together – just some redline tape along the sides.  I did not use the small flowers shown here, they will be saved for a future project.

To make the decorative top, I used the Tattered Flowers die with the same lavender and vellum paper, along with a branch with leaves die with green cardstock.  The cut pieces were sponged with Memento Grape Jelly for the flowers and Cottage Ivy for the leaves.  Both dies are from Sizzix.

Once the flowers were assembled they were attached with a brad.  The piece of lace ribbon started out white (which was too bright) so I airbrushed some copics in the E series (for a tea dyed look) then with a V series copic, to match the overall color scheme.   The final touch was a few small prima pearls that were also colored with a V series copic.

The box stays closed with a velcro dot.

Thanks so much for stopping by today!